Sunday, May 25, 2008

Iris Green McCleary




Kaylene called last night to share with us that her mom, Iris had passed away.
Iris was like a Grandma to me. I have so many memories of her and Ken. 
- Having malts at their house on my birthday
- Staying with them while my parents were out of town
- When I was about 4, Iris and Kaylene took me to have my picture taken - and we gave the picture to my Mom for Mother's day (at least that is how I remember it.)
- I believe she is the one who told me that my Grandpa Rhees had passed away because were were with her when he died.
- I sat with her at church the day my brother had his mission farewell because I didn't want to choose sides with my relatives. . .
- Ken was driving the first boat I remember riding in. 
- Iris took me with her to see Grandma Green. Grandma Green gave me a beautiful doll.
- One night the electricity went out at our house. Our parents were gone. Ken and Iris came over to check on us. I remember them telling us to NOT light any candles. They knew my siblings well.
- They took me and Jenni with their family to a cabin up the canyon. The cabin had a fancy outhouse. 
- Iris was there the day I was confirmed and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. Ken and Bryan stood in the circle.
- Iris and Ken invited me to dinner while I was at college. It was nice to have them around when my parents lived across the country.
- The first time I saw the temple square lights was with Iris and Ken. 
- Iris and Ken shared their incredible vegetable garden with us on numerous occasions.
- Iris went with me wedding dress shopping.
- Iris made my first temple dress. It fit me perfectly. She also made me a matching temple packet. I still use it and think of her when I am waiting for the session to begin.
- Iris and Ken were there when I was sealed to Steve in the Salt Lake Temple.
- We lived in their rental house (that was the house I remember in my childhood) when Hannah and Eliza were babies. 

Iris and Ken. Ken and Iris. Thank you for being so much a part of my life. Ken has asked that in lieu of flowers - we do something kind for someone in remembrance of Iris. I will.


No comments: