Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happiness and Joy

There is a difference between happiness and joy. I have studied the latter a lot in the last few years - searching for an understanding of why I don't always have it. After hours of reading and preparing lessons and observing myself and others - this is my definition of JOY: Joy comes to me when my actions and thoughts match my beliefs and the person I really want to be.

For example, I know that TV is not as good for my children as playing games, reading books or just talking and working on a project together. So on the days when the TV babysits my youngest while I get projects done - I don't feel the same joy I feel at the end of a day when the TV was never turned on and we spend time talking while we get things done together. 

As I look back over some low times over the last few years - they always coincide with me getting lazy in making my actions match by beliefs - such as slacking in my prayers or yelling at my children or not wanting to serve others. 

My knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ brings me joy and that should be enough everyday. But I am human. And I am forgetful of my blessings and I get selfish. But now I will be able to recognize my low times for what they really are and be able to ask myself: What am I doing or not doing to be the kind of person I really want to be.

Happiness is more of a moment thing than something that lasts but sometimes those moments add up to joyful days. There are so many things that make me happy:

- happy children walking through the door (in or out)
- phone calls from friends and family
- planning trips (our family doesn't vacation like most - "trip" is a better word to describe what we do)
- clean kitchen
- sunny/ blue skied days 
- more than half my kids liking the dinner I make
- Steven home before 6:30
- a good workout with a great friend
- listening to my children practice their musical instruments. 
- talk radio while I fold laundry (I despise laundry - the radio makes it bearable)

What makes you happy? What brings you joy? "Who do you want to be?" instead of "what do you want to be?"  Things I need to discuss with my children . . .

2 comments:

Bethany said...

What a nice post, Anne. I'm going to have to think about that.

Holly Wilcox said...

Well said. Thanks, Anne. I've always admired you for your cheerfulness.