Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Old Mans Cave

Several weeks ago, we had a beautiful day off school - which was nice because our spring break was cold and rainy. . . we drove an hour to Old Mans Cave and enjoyed several hours of hiking around. Incredible scenery:rocks, trees, waterfalls but I think the kids remember most the snails they found by the waterfall. Lots and lots of snails. 



We did have a learning experience on this little trek. After hiking around for about an hour the path just seemed to switch back and lead back to the parking lot where we started. Half the kids wanted to just go home. It seemed like we had walked on all the paths available. But then we saw a trail heading straight up a hill. It was getting pretty hot and the kids weren't sure they wanted to hike up the hill. I wasn't ready to go home. I wanted to see more so I made a declaration that we were going to go to the top. We walked and it got a little steeper. About half way up I took out the only water bottle I had brought so everyone could have a swig. It was gone. One of the girls had had a good drink. So we were thirsty and hot. There was murmuring. But we made it to the top.

We were in the middle of a campground and just a few yards from the path was a drinking fountain. Everyone had as much water as they could drink and we headed down the hill. While coming down the hill - we saw a path that we hadn't noticed. It was the trail that led to the beautiful waterfall and snails. . . 

Later that night, as Grace was getting ready for bed, she said, "I'm really glad that we hiked to the top of the hill even though I didn't want to." I asked her why and she said, "because we found the water fountain and that is what we needed." 

I hope all my children learn that it is often the hard things we do that provide us the things we most need. Someday, I will remind Grace about our hike to the top of the hill and how thirsty she was and the water fountain we found. And I will tell her about Jesus and the everlasting water he provides.  I pray my children will find the fountain and drink.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

What a sweet experience!