Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Super Powers

We have a new spiffy Target in town. It has a new layout that I am getting used to. Everything is still clean and if I HAVE to shop - it is my favorite place to go. Last night I took Tanner there to buy some new shoes. HE found the ONLY pair of spiderman tennis shoes in the whole store - in his size laying on the floor. I was hoping for something less powerful looking - like fake chucks. But wow! Was he ever excited about the spiderman shoes. I guess I only have a few more shoe buying trips where he will pick out super hero shoes (I hope.) So we put the shoes in the cart and we did a loop around the store towards the exit.

At the end of the food aisle is the frozen food section. Picture Lots of freezers with the see-through glass. And they are dark. Target is "green" and doesn't have the freezer lights on all the time. But Tanner notices that if he walks in front of them - the lights magically turn on.  He starts slowly, testing his "powers". Every time he steps into an aisle half of the lights brighten the cases of food. He steps further into the aisle and the remaining freezers are illuminated. He holds out his arms as if they have the power of Moses' staff or Harry Potter's wand. Luckily, we were the only ones in that corner of the store and he was able to light up the entire section. He was incredibly excited. I was laughing. I was wishing I could somehow take a picture of the whole experience. 

As we walked toward the registers to pay for his new shoes, he talked about his super powers. I felt kind of like a kid walking out of an elevator, having pushed all the buttons.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

That is hilarious! Must be the age. Chris, 4, is into his "powers" of opening automatic doors. He'll run up to them, jump on the mat, make some magician movement with his hands, and say, "Power!" It's very funny.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

I love it. I wish I could have seen how excited he was at using his powers!

The Gilbert Family said...

That is fabulous! I can just imagine his face, would have loved to see it!

Katie said...

Wouldn't it be nice if we could always keep that wonder at our powers!

Bondfam said...

That is so cute! I can almost picture that whole experience. Our boys always did the automatic doors, too. They always said, "Open Sesame!" in weird voices. They still do, despite their age!