Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

My Mom is the best at a lot of things. Especially at everything that has to do with mail and wrapping presents. We all get birthday cards before our birthdays. Random packages arrive in the mail from her with just what you need. My favorite packages arrived while we were living in an apartment in South Pas. She would tuck rolls of quarters in whatever else she was sending to use for our laundry. Having to take two toddlers into the bank to get quarters was a chore. So when those quarters would arrive - I felt so understood and loved.


My first year at BYU, she asked me about a current event in the news. I knew nothing about it. The next day when I went to pick up the mail I was excited to find a new subscription to USA Today. I don't know who loved it more - me or my roommate Sara.

Mom is an expert package wrapper. Presents always look like a piece of art when she wraps them - She takes great care to make things (not just presents) beautiful. So I am sad to say that her card from me will probably be late and I can't think of the last time I wrapped her a present. I have to admit that my wrapping skills are not like hers. In fact - more than once I have allowed a mother at a birthday party to believe that my child wrapped the present and it was really me.

But I hope I have inherited some of her other great traits. Mostly, I hope that I can be the kind of friend that she is to others. Everyone could use someone like her in their lives. I know I am blessed. Happy Birthday Mom. I hope the card gets their soon.

2 comments:

Amy said...

You can just tell by looking at your mom that she is a wonderful mom and grandma. She exudes perfect grandma and mom just from looking at her picture.

P.S. Tell whoever is selling their house GOOD LUCK!!
P.S.S. We miss you guys! Tyler and I often lay in bed at night and list off all the families we miss...the Langes are one of those families!

Michelle said...

I love your wrapping confession! My sis-in-law wraps beautiful gifts - sometimes I don't even want to open them - I just want to have the pretty package to display.