Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Golden Friendships

When your children are small, there is a great need for friendships that will help you survive those crazy thoughts you have. Like: "Why did I pray for this life with these children? Will I ever finish a meal and not have to clean up the floor and wipe down the chairs? Am I really meant for motherhood?"

I've been blessed with friends who remind me to find the joy in motherhood. Utah gave me the chance to meet up with some of these friends:

Tara. Tara was one of the first people we met in South Pasadena. Her daughter Morgan called my toddlers Hannahliza. She showed me the ropes of California living. She was the first person I knew that actually cooked polenta at home. When we lived by each other - she had a Disneyland pass and would sometimes go there for lunch. We worked together in Young Women and her sense of humor kept me sane as I was dragging my toddlers to every YW activity while my husband was in grad school.
This moment was a tender mercy. Steve and I were walking around BYU campus with Tanner. And I heard this lady say my name. I looked closer and it was Tara with her gorgeous children and Mom! We had not seen each other for 9 years.
Michelle. Michelle and I worked together. We were in the same ward. We were pregnant together. Our babies were born a few months apart. I think after I quit work, we talked to each other on the phone almost every morning. I have pictures of these cute girls wearing princess dresses playing in the sandbox together.  Michelle is an incredible seamstress and still sitting in our dress-up box, are two twirly skirts she made for my girls. The skirts were their favorite dress-ups because they were so fun to dance in.

There have been so many friends who have helped me through those rough spots of mothering. I know I have been blessed and I am still being blessed blessed with people (not all are mothers) in my life who help me be a better mom. To all of you - I say THANK YOU!

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Anne, you were one of those friends for me in South Pas. (And still are, thanks to your blog.) I will never forget a story you told me about one of your kids (I'll omit their name). I think of that often as I'm in the middle of a pull-out-my-hair moment.

Thanks!!

Katie said...

Friends like that are the BEST!