Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Alkmaar

The Cheese Market. Once a week in the town of Alkmaar, they hold the cheese market. This picture doesn't show all the pageantry that goes with the cheese selling and weighing. We got there a while before it started. I told the girls to follow me because I thought we could get a better view on the other side of the square. I was on a mission for a good view. I wasn't paying attention and walked right through the middle of a public urinal. And yes, there was someone in it - using it. (The urinals are 6 foot tall half cylindars with a drain in the ground that give someone a little privacy as long as no one walks through. . .) I backed out of my shortcut before the girls knew what was happening. They had a good laugh after I explained why we couldn't take the shortcut. 

This is the best canal ride in all of Holland. The bridges are so low - you have to duck to make it under without hitting your head. We were all laughing so hard - we hardly heard the tour guide.
We were actually on the floor at times. Our boat wasn't full - so we had room to spread out. When our boat was docking - we saw a boat leaving that was completely full. I don't know how they all got low enough to not hit their heads.

Steve and Jenni ducking for their life and laughing
Views from the boat

1 comment: