Monday, October 11, 2010

Indian Run

A couple of weeks ago, Steve, Eliza, Grace and I "ran" the Indian Run in Hocking Hills. We arrived there around 9 am to check in. When I told the lady at registration who we were she oohhhed and ahhed and informed me that they had been talking about us the day before when they were preparing the registration packets. She couldn't believe that such a big family was running the race together. I couldn't believe that Steve and I with half of our children were considered a big family. She then told me that they had informed the media about us and they would likely like to talk to us. We got a good laugh over that and then loaded the bus to go to our starting point.

Our friends, Emily and Richard ran the 10k. Eliza and Steve ran the 5k. My friend Katie and I took Grace and her friends and hoped to briskly walk the 5k. 3 minutes into the race, one skinned her knee and had blood oozing all over. One wanted to stop and watch the fish jumping in the lake. On our way through the campground part of the trail, we stopped to ask for a bandaid. While there - we saw the bathrooms and decided to stop. Grace tells everyone that I dragged her over the finish line - she was so tired. So our brisk walk turned into some of the longest 5k finishes known to man. I think we beat the 60 year old couple who had a baby in a back pack.

So about the media. Steve crossed the finish line and a reporter approached him. She was sorely disappointed that we weren't all running together. Her photo-op moment was not going to happen. But I love this picture. It was a great day.

No comments: