Tuesday, September 14, 2010

T is for Tanner

Tanner has a lot to tell me these days because we are not together for 3 hours every day while he is at school. He is always anxious to tell me about school and the friends he made that day. His one problem is that he can never remember their names - or perhaps he never asked them in the first place. Tonight at dinner - the girls were asking him if he found out the name of a particular girl he had been talking about. He said he asked her her name but it was "complicated". The girls started to throw out names with 3 or more syllables. They all sounded like Rumpelstiltskin trying to guess the friends name. After a few minutes of guessing and laughing - Tanner pipes up with, "I think her name was Anne or something like that."

Tanner came in the house from jumping on the trampoline today and declared: "I am not going to military school!" I tried to find out where this idea came from but he wouldn't say anymore. He got a drink of water and went back outside.

Tonight, we were driving to the church, in the dark to pick up the girls from church. He started singing a song that sounded like a game show theme song and then rapidly fired off words he wanted me to define. He started with "cute" and "darling". He then moved on to damn and piehole. I gave him a definition for dam that included cement, logs and a stream or river turned into a lake. He then asked if there is another dam. I asked him why and he told me that there is a song he knows and that he thought the words to it were: "my damn partner is a monkey" but someone told him those are not the correct words. The correct words are: "my gym partner is a monkey".

So now - I get to wonder where he was singing about his damn partner loud enough for someone to correct him? My apologies to whoever it was and to the parents of any friends to whom he taught that song. He knows better now and hopefully won't do it again.

9 comments:

Bethany said...

Hilarious! (and I echo your last post -- thanks)

ohiolanges said...

I just talked to Steve who has been out of town. He read this post and informed me that he and Eliza corrected Tanner when he sang the wrong words to the song. Whew. Hopefully they are the only ones who heard it!

Amanda said...

haha! Oh cute Tanner!

Hilary said...

That was hilarious. I was laughing so hard. This has to be one of my favorite posts ever.

The Gilbert Family said...

Make me laugh so hard i cry!!! I love it!!

Todd and Mallory said...

Hilarious! When are you guys coming into town in October. We are blessing Morgan on the 10th and would love if you guys were in town to be there.

Doug, Kalee, Jonah, Nora, and Gavin said...

I love him! Those stories are great!

Jenny said...

I read this the other day and didn't get a chance to comment, but I was laughing so hard. I just re-read it and busted up again. He cracks me up! Honestly...loved this post. I'll make sure to ask Tanner about the song next time I see him ;)

Michelle said...

I think I want to hang out with Tanner. I feel we would really connect. I, too, find the name Anne very complicated. I also happen to have a list of words I would love you to define...AND none of them are swear words. (I know the definitions of those.) If needed, I will sing the words to you. Let me know.