Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Birhtday Grandma!

My Grandma is celebrating her birthday today. At least I hope she is celebrating! I cannot be with her today - but wish I could be. I was thinking of all the important events in my life and realized Grandma has been there or close by for most of them. Grandma was there for my baptism and confirmation. (I assume my baby blessing but I have no recollection of that.) She was in the temple with me the day I made important covenants there. She was in a different temple with me when I was sealed to Steve for all eternity. Her handsome husband (my Grandfather, who I still miss) was the sealer who performed the sealing. And she was pretty close by for two of my four children's births. That pretty much sums up all the important events in my life!

However, a few months ago - Grandma was not just around - but she was the REASON for the latest event I will add to my list. Until this day, Grandma had met and shaken the hands of all the prophets since Heber J Grant, except for President Monson. My sister Jenni mentioned this to a friend of ours who has frequent meetings with the prophet. He arranged for this "event" to happen. We were told that President Monson would be in-between meetings and he would come out and greet Grandma during the meeting change. We imagined that we would see him for 5 minutes tops. When we saw President Eyring and President Uchtdorf come out of President Monson's office, I got my camera ready. I was ready to snap a bunch of pictures in the few minutes she visited with him. We were a little surprised when President Monson invited us into his office and pulled chairs around his desk for the 5 of us. (My parents and sister Jenni were also there.) We were in greater awe when we were leaving his office over an hour later.

President Monson shared with us many stories and bore testimony that the Lord works miracles through his servants to bless the lives of others. The best word I can think of to describe this hour, is one that I never use, "delightful." We laughed as he and Grandma shared funny stories. He showed us things around his office that mean a great deal to him. (The first thing that he showed us was a picture of his dear wife.) And he told us about the artwork throughout the office and meeting rooms. It was truly delightful. I knew I was in the presence of God's spokesperson, our prophet. What an incredible blessing! Thank you Grandma!

President Monson, showing Grandma this painting of Christ by Heinrich Hoffman. I believe he has had this picture of Christ in his various offices since before he was a mission president.


President Monson hoped that the picture of Christ would be in this picture. I didn't dare speak up and tell him that he was blocking the picture. I do love that it looks like the light of Christ is surrounding him. I did feel the love of my Savior as he told my grandmother that the Lord has a special love for widows.

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow! I am trying to think of something to say - but all I can think of is what a wonderful experience - thank you for sharing it!

Elyse said...

lucky woman you are! very blessed with a wonderful family.
now i LOVE LOVE LOVE this post. that picture of your grandmother and President Monson is just great. he really does look like the light of Christ is glowing behind him--which i know it is! great post! :)

Katie said...

Amazing! There really are no good words for the beauty of that post!

Jenny said...

I can't believe this happened! That is one of the coolest stories ever! How did it feel to just sit and casually talk with the prophet for an hour...I mean seriously? Love it. I want to take your grandma and squeeze her...what a cutie pie. I can't wait to drill you on the experience....be waiting....

Kristin said...

That is such an amazing experience! I love the pictures, and I bet it was so awesome to be there and hear his stories!

Tara said...

Oh Anne,

Just getting caught up on your blog, just in case I'm famous again. Ha! Ha! What a fabulous experience with Pres. Monson. I am in awe! Wow! It couldn't happen to nicer people. Thanks for sharing--still miss you.

AllisonK said...

I was looking for a photo of President Monson in front of his favorite painting and I found this lovely post you wrote about your grandmother. I hope you don't mind I use your photo and share a link back to your post about your grandmother. What a treasure! Thank you for sharing.

http://www.allisonkimball.com/my_weblog/2016/09/names-of-christ-an-update.html